We are looking for energetic, responsible, and passionate individuals to join our Madison office. In this position, you will be an integral part of our office helping in either the operations, scheduling, policy, legislative affairs, appointments, communications, constituent services, or proclamations department. It is essential that applicants to this position have strong communication skills, demonstrate maturity and responsibility, and understand the importance of attention to detail.
Intern Duties and Responsibilities:
Intern Requirements and Qualifications:
- Answer phone inquiries, direct calls, and enter each phone call into our office database
- Perform clerical duties, maintain files, and organize documents; photocopy, fax, etc. as needed
- Assist in preparing information and materials
- Research and gather documentation on the Governor's position on issues
- Shadow multiple office positions and train in a variety of tasks
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed and able to work without supervision
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential material in a responsible and respectful manner
For law clerk applicants only:
If you are completing this application because you wish to be considered for a law clerk position with the Office of Legal Counsel within the Governor’s office, the above descriptions will be largely inapplicable to you. Instead, please consider the following:
- Rather than performing the duties and responsibilities outlined above, law clerks will work with the Governor’s fulltime legal staff to assist with matters related to potential and ongoing litigation, conduct research, draft legal memoranda, assist with public record requests, and aid in the implementation of record retention policies and schedules. There will be some opportunity for observation and participation in other department.
- Applicants for a law clerk position must be currently enrolled as student with an accredited law school. 2L/3L students preferred.
- Instead of responding to one of the two provided writing sample prompts below, you should instead provide a legal writing sample.
- Gain knowledge of the Governor's Office
- Opportunity to work with top officials in the political field
- Gain experience learning how both a professional and a political office function
- Opportunities for professional development and networking
Note: You will be required to upload a cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format to complete the application process. Other required questions are noted with an asterisk. Please complete the application in one session - you cannot save and return to the application at a later time and the session may time out after 30 minutes of inactivity. Using the Google Chrome internet browser is recommended.
Begin the Application